ROOM FOR ALL NATIONAL CONFERENCE 2017
“A KALEIDOSCOPE OF INTERSECTIONS”
THURSDAY, SEPT. 28 – SATURDAY, SEPT. 30
HOPE CHURCH – HOLLAND, MICHIGAN
Our goal for the 2017 conference is to explore ways that our multiple, embodied identities intersect with our sexual identity and gender expression, recognize the privilege that some of these identities confer, and affirm and build upon those identities as people of faith who seek equality for LGBTQ people in the life and ministry of the Reformed Church in America.
Our speakers and workshops will engage us around three particular intersections: Sexual identity/gender expression (SIGE) and race, SIGE and faith expression, and SIGE and life journeys. Specifically, we’ll prioritize voices that amplify the too-often marginalized whose stories we have not enthusiastically welcomed into the RCA.
Scroll down for a summary. For more details, here is a full description of all the speakers and workshop options, and here’s the current schedule (subject to change). Online registration begins May 1, with special early bird rates!
Dr. Keisha McKenzie, Director, Believe Out Loud
“ENOUGH ROOM AT THE TABLE”
KEYNOTE EVENT CONCERT: “Songs from the Heart” – Deb Tiemens
*Keynote events are open to the public with a $10 admittance fee
Rev. Ann Kansfield, Greenpoint Reformed Church
Rev. Chad Tanaka Pack, Marble Collegiate Church
Track 1 (SIGE & Race) options:
- “Expanding & Troubling our LGBTQ Theological Imagination” – Rodney McKenzie
- “Reflections of Inclusion in a Refracted Society” – Lindsay Jarratt
- Film screening & facilitated discussion: “Passing”
Track 2 (SIGE & Faith) options:
- “Queer & Christian: Let’s Worship!” – Rev. Dr. Tricia Sheffield & Elder Darren Major
- “Out of Order” film screening & facilitated discussion – Alex Patchin McNeill
- “In Our Own Words: Listening for Stories” – Emily Janssen
Plenary Panel: “When God Calls & the Church Hangs Up” Moderated by Rev. Annie Reilly
Track 3 (SIGE & Life Journey) options:
- “Room for All Families?” (Supporting LGBTQ couples & their children) – Rev. Jennifer Aull
- “In the Light: Caring for LGBTQ Youth” – Rev. Marian Edmonds-Allen
- “New Wine in Old Skins: The Role of Faith in Lives of Old LGBTQ Persons – Barbara Satin
Saturday Focus: Changing Hearts & Minds in the RCA
(Current update of our progress, followed by action model focus groups)
- Restorative Circles – Rev. Jill Russell
- InterGroup Dialogue – Dr. Deirdre Johnston
- “Loving Through Policy: Advocacy & Activism in Church & Public Life” – Rev. Stacey Midge
- “Ally – From Noun to Verb, From Label to Action” – Rev. Jonathan Vanderbeck
WANT TO KNOW MORE???
- The conference will be held at Hope Church, and the conference hotel will be The Haworth Inn. (Hotel options will be included in registration categories, and reservations will be handled by Room for All.)
- The conference schedule begins with a buffet supper at The Haworth Inn on Thursday evening, Sept. 28, followed by opening worship at Hope Church, and will end at 12:30 PM on Saturday, Sept. 30.
- YES, we’re looking for underwriting so that we can offer student scholarships and other assistance again! If you would like to help support this conference, here is information about levels of giving, and here is a helpful one-page summary of the conference, with helpful categories of how your gifts can help others to attend! Please contact us with your questions!
- Watch this page, or our Facebook page, for emerging details!